This post has nothing to do with painting in particular. It contains a simple piece of advice that I received from a real good friend who worked with me for a couple of years. I learned a lot from him, and one of the sticky-est principles is this...
Don't complain unless you are willing to change.
That is a profound statement, simple as it is.
It sounds too simple. It sounds cold and callous, unsympathetic. But just think about it for a moment...
When it comes to running a painting business, there are endless things you could choose to complain about. Here are a few good reasons why that would be the wrong approach:
1. Complaining means that you are focussing on the negatives, sapping your creative energy and strength.
2. There are usually positives in a given situation - choose what we will focus on.
3. Complaining doesn't fix anything.
4. Complaining drives your support network away, rather than toward.
5. Complaining disempowers you, making you feel victimized.
6. Complaining is inward focused.
7. Complaining is a choice. You can usually change your circumstances, or change your perspective of your circumstances.
Everyone has times in their life where they need to reach out for support, empathy, encouragement. That is a very important part of being human. But if you catch yourself complaining a lot, it might be time for some self-examination. Empower yourself to own your situation and make the best of it, or impose a change. It is easy to complain. Actual change is hard.
My friend came by this view honestly, the by-product of some very challenging family circumstances and a strong role model. This principle is best applied to ourselves, not in judgement of others.
Having a positive and grateful attitude can go such a long way to being content and finding creative solutions to the many challenges we all face everyday.
If you appreciate the free content on MicroContractor Blog, please share with a link and click the article sponsor's ad:
The complaining and the better process about painting in particular sounds and statement for the better chances as well. Perfect focusing on the negatives and support network and the more feel victimized.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.