I love this paint. It's the best interior water based paint I've ever used for trim and doors. It is worth the price and performs beautifully both during application and as a finished coating. It is pretty much all I ever use now for interior trim packages. That is my conclusion after 18 months of using this product regularly.
Here is what I like about it specifically...
- Using a brush (I usually use a 2" Wooster Silver Tip) and low-pile micro-fibre mini-roller application, Scuff-X Pearl levels out to an almost spray-like finish on flat stock trim.
- Scuff-X Pearl has a longer 'open-time' than Aura interior Semi-Gloss, which is convenient when the weather is warm and dry, or you have detailed profiles to coat.
- Scuff-X Pearl cures faster than Aura, Advance, or any other interior trim paint. That means faster re-coat times and faster return to service for occupied spaces.
- Scuff-X Pearl cures harder than most any other trim paints I've used, especially other BM brands. This means taping off can be done sooner, hardware re-installed sooner, etc.
- Scuff-X Pearl flows well with manual application - it has a thick but slippery viscosity that lays out nice and does not sag, run or 'rope'.
- Scuff-X Pearl covers very well, often requiring only 1 coat to freshen up previously painted trim and doors on res-repaint projects and commercial re-decorations.
- Scuff-X Pearl's sheen just glows - it is not too shiny, like most Semi-Gloss paints, nor is it dull, like some Eggshell paint sheens. It is just perfect to subtly highlight the woodwork on your project.
- Scuff-X Pearl provides superior scuff resistance. The cured film has a very slippery surface that prevents a lot of abrasion scuffing.
- Scuff-X Pearl offers superior washability. It can withstand washing extremely well, but it is often quite easy to remove any minor scuffs that may show up. This is ideal for new construction projects where 'touch-ups' may simply require gently wiping the trim scuffs, rather than dabbing paint and trying to blend.
Benjamin Moore's Scuff-X Pearl is a little pricey, and the odour can be a little noticeable in small spaces, but overall this product is a home-run and a no-brainer for interior trim and door painting projects whether you are a pro, a handyman or a DIY homeowner.
For more information and videos: Benjamin Moore Scuff-X